Monday, January 23, 2012

Haka

There are several Hakas. Originates from the Maori in New Zealand.  Famous internationally because of the rugby team All Blacks.  Several USA rugby and football teams have adopted this tradition.  Meant to welcome, challenge, promise, intimidate, and honor.

There's a whole story behind the words, which you can listen to HERE.
THIS is a rugby team performing the Haka that is closest to what we learned at Roundtable Jan. 2012.( Start at the middle of the video.... 0:31.)
Here is a TUTORIAL, which brings the speed down quite a bit for learning.

The Haka is generally performed by men, but both women and children perform it as well, and they look just as intimidating, especially when they widen their eyes, jerk their movements, and lay out their tongue down to their chin!

To honor this ceremony, perform the Haka strong, fierce, intimidating.  This actually is a message that communicates, "We promise to respect you by playing our very best game!" Here are a couple boys who give tips how to DO IT WITHOUT A SMILE!

The words we learned, and their meaning:

Ka Mate! Ka Mate! Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
I die! I die! I live! I live!
Ka Mate! Ka Mate! Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
I die! I die! I live! I live!
Teneite tangata puru puhuru
This is the hairy man
Nana nei tiki mai
Who fetched the Sun
Whakawhiti te ra
And caused it to shine again
Aupane, Aupane
One upward step, One upward step,
Aupana K’aupane
An upward step, Another upward step
Whiti te ra
The Sun shines!
Hi

*It appears that the "wh" is pronounced like "ff"

No comments:

Post a Comment